Your brand is your identity and an important part of your marketing strategy. Having a federally registered trademark increases your credibility in your market, and enables you to prevent others from using your mark or a mark similar to yours in a manner that could harm your business. The Benefits of Trademark Registration are:
* Federally registered trademarks are protected throughout the United States rather than in one state.
* Federal registration provides evidence that you own your trademark. If you ever sue someone for trademark infringement, this fact will save you a great deal of time and legal fees.
* You will be able to file suit in federal court rather than state court.
* As an owner of a federally registered trademark, you are entitled to “treble damages”, which means you can recover three times your actual damages from the trademark infringer.
* You may also be able to recover any profits that the defendant earned while infringing your trademark, as well as any attorneys fees you incur during litigation.
* Federal registration provides nationwide “constructive notice” to others that the registered trademark belongs to you. If your trademark is infringed, the infringer cannot defend his conduct by arguing he did not know about your trademark.
* After five years, federally registered trademarks become “incontestable”. That is, your exclusive right to use the trademark is conclusively established, making it extremely difficult for another party to challenge your trademark.
* Your trademark rights can last indefinitely, as long as you comply with the necessary procedures for renewing your trademark.
The process of trademark and design registration doesn’t need to be expensive or confusing. Karmen A. Booker of Compu-Perfect Professional Services can make the registration applications on your behalf, and we can provide full support issues such as:
* Advice on suitability and registrability of names, logos and designs
* Searches against intended names and logos and checking on availability
* Advice on selecting appropriate classes of goods and services for registration
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Karmen A. Booker is an Attorney, Business Consultant and Chief Consultant for Compu-Perfect Professional Services, a business consulting firm specializing in business incorporation, establishing limited liability companies, contract drafting & reviewing, and more. CALL ATTORNEY BOOKER at
She is the author of “Business Tips” e-book where you will discover tips that will put you on the Road to Business Success, Tips for creating and implementing a marketing plan, and more. This report and other books she has authored are available for online purchase at http://www.kbooker.wordpress.com by clicking on the respective book covers on the right sidebar of the blog site.